Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Uncorked: Robert Mondavi Winery

By:  Mark Miesner
Photos:  Lauren DeSantis

We started our day in St. Helena and…



I will never look at a bottle of Robert Mondavi wine the same way after visiting the grounds in person.  Every time I’ve seen a bottle since our visit, I am immediately taken back to the entry way architecture that I walked through as I entered the winery.  Simply breathtaking.  We met the fabulous, Jani DiCarlo, for an Exclusive Cellar Tasting.  The first stop on our trip ended up being my favorite.  Not only is the scenery stunning, but the wine was phenomenal.
I honestly don’t think she could do her job any better, period.  Thank you Jani, we had a blast!
After taking in the massive wine-making facilities, we meandered to their cellar to sip on the goods in a private tasting room that was truly remarkable.  

I felt like a VIP, well I kinda was for that day.  Jani poured us some 2012 Fume Blanc Reserve, and the wheels were up from there.  What a crisp one it was, setting the day of just right.  Now I know why they call it a “walk in the park,” and my walking shoes were on.
How bout’ some French Oak, Pinot Noir next?  Okie dokie!  The 2012 reserve was silky smooth, and it kept getting better with every swig.  “Can I take a bath in this?”
From there, the wines just kept on getting bigger and better.  We sampled some Cab reserve and the 2010 To Kalon Caberenet Sauvignon.  
Yes, 100% Cabernet, and it shined like the sunny Californian sun on a June afternoon.  Perfectly balanced to my liking, and extremely well developed.  It was easy to interpret the amount of care that went into making this gem.  “Is there just the one bottle, Jani?”

Bottom line, if you visit Napa, you’ve gotta see Mondavi’s place.  Such a great setting to crack a bottle open and share some stories with friends and make some new memories that you will cherish forever.  It felt so open and inviting, because it is just that.

Thank you for your hospitality, and see you next time for sure!


Robert Mondavi WineryAppellation:  Oakville, Napa ValleyTastings:  $20 for 4 wines in the main tasting room; $45 for 4 wines or wine by the glass in the To Kalon Reserve tasting room.
Tours:  Signature Tour and Tasting, including To Kalon Vineyard, by reservationThe Wines:  Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, Fume Blanc, I Block Fume Blanc, Moscato D'Oro, Pinot Noir, To Kalon Cabernet SauvignonWine Maker:  Genevieve JanssensAnnual Production:  250K casesWho's Pouring Our Wine:  Jani DiCarlo


Robert Mondavi Winery
7801 Hwy. 29
Oakville, CA  94562

Other fun spots:

No comments: